Thursday, March 1, 2012

Extended Spring Fever

As the temperature climbs and the days get longer here in Northern Kentucky, I yearn to get outside.  I am not sure if it is the unseasonably warm winter that is drawing to a close or if it is the increased stress that occurs with everyday life, but my body, soul, and mind are craving the outdoors.  I grew up spending time outside, playing in the woods behind my childhood neighborhood - often tagging along with my older brothers.  Even at a young age, I was spending days at a time deep in the back country of the Red River Gorge; camping, hiking, and rapelling with my brothers.  I had learned to respect and appreciate nature and it was an important part of my identity.

When I was a young teen, I travelled west with my parents and we made a day stop at the Grand Canyon.  My parents would rather stand behind the railing and take in the views, but luckily I was able to step foot on the edge of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and walk a few hundred feet of the Bright Angel Trail.  It was a breathtaking moment and it was also a galvanizing point of my life.  Whether it is the simplicity of a woodland nature trail or the awe-inspiring beauty of a natural wonder,  I learned at a young age that getting into a natural setting put a smile on my face and refreshed my heart, soul, and mind. 

There are a few things that are a given in this world and one is that the sun will rise every morning and set every evening.  Those daily sunrises and sunsets seem to have quickly turned into weeks, which have turned into months,  and eventually turned into years. A wise young man from Chicago once said, I have always had a mental list of places that I would love to experience first hand.  The reality is that list is gradually transitioning from a simple "places to see" list, to a personal "bucket" list.  My heart yearns for hikes in Point Reyes along the California coastline, experiencing the John Muir Trail and the Yosemite, returning to Hawaii to take on more adventurous trails, and ultimately returning to the Grand Canyon. 
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."  
Life continues to move forward and those desires have made way for my priorities: a growing family, a home, and a career.  And the simply reality is that, whether it be hiking or biking, it has been years since I have hit the trails.  But recently, I came across the following quote by John Muir,
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike."
It was as if Muir was speaking directly to me.  I yearn for the outdoors because I need nature's healing touch and cheer to revitalize my heart, soul, and mind as it did when I was younger.  I also realized that I do not need to fly or drive across the country to find this rejuvenation.  Nature is all around me and I need to re-introduce myself to this old friend.  Do not be mistaken, I still want to cross all of those places off of my "bucket" list, but in the meantime, I am going to start over.  I am going to rediscover the healing powers of nature.  I am going to call my brothers.  I am going to introduce my children to nature.  I am going to hike the woods and trails in my backyard like I did as a kid ..... and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment